My ideal todo list app
The todo list app has been done again and again and again, yet I always seem to have some gripe with each of the ones I have used. ATM, I use Google Keep as it gets most things right. What follows are some of the features that I deem important for such an app to have:
- Sequence of subtasks that are dependent on the previous one being completed.
- Better would be graph support. And then the usual decision tree analysis to find the critical path, max/min time to do all tasks.
- Of course, this can get quite complicated, and it would have to be kept as simple as possible whilst still being very flexible.
- Basically being able to group tasks, but more flexible than mutually exclusive categories.
- This is a killer feature, and the reason why I don’t use other tools eg Trello, evernote.
- Reminders have to be customisable. I should be able to set a specific time/day, and be able to recur the reminder, and have sensible defaults for saying that “I’ll do it in an hour, not right now” when a reminder comes up.
- IMO, Google keep does this quite well.
Before you ask, I have no plans to actually create yet-another-todo-list-app. It feels like it is way too crowded at the moment, and I feel more that I simply haven’t tried enough to find the best one for me.
And if you didn’t notice, I find that nested lists can be a nice way to organise thoughts about a particular topic. Give it a try if you haven’t already.
22 Feb 2016